- Equip remote employees with customized work-from-home kits, ensuring they have the necessary technological tools and ergonomic comforts to excel in their tasks.
- Foster a supportive remote culture through regular communication, understanding individual needs, and providing flexibility in workspace setup.
- Include essentials like ergonomic furniture, high-speed internet, and collaboration tools in work-from-home packages to boost productivity and job satisfaction.
It's Thursday morning and you log into your computer with a hot cup of coffee in hand. As you open up your email and Slack, you see a few messages from colleagues pop up overnight.
Before diving in, you take a minute to scan your calendar and to-do list to prioritize the day's tasks. You feel focused and ready to be productive from your home office setup. The company shipped you ergonomic equipment including a spacious desk, comfortable chair, and large monitor.
You have a reliable high-speed internet connection and VPN access to all the internal systems and files you need. Your manager scheduled a daily 15-minute video check-in on your calendar to align priorities and address any roadblocks.
Throughout the day, you're able to take breaks to stretch, chat with family, or make a home-cooked lunch. The flexibility of remote work allows you to maintain an energized mindset and strong connection to your team, even out of the traditional office.
Having the proper tools and support enables you to show up as your best self and do great work, regardless of location.
There's no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to creating effective work-from-home kit. But providing personalized support to meet each employee's needs is key.
In this article, we'll explore the essential elements to include to set up every remote worker for success.
What is a Work-from-Home kit?
A work-from-home package or work-from-home kit is a set of tools and resources provided by an employer to help employees work from home productively and comfortably.
These kits can include tools and resources such as computers, monitors, keyboards, headsets, webcams, external hard drives, high-speed internet, collaboration and communication tools, cloud-based software, and access to company resources.
Work-from-home kits can help employees be happier and more productive by giving them the tools they need to succeed in their remote work environments.
A well-designed work-from-home kit can provide several benefits for both employers and employees.
For employers, it can help improve employee morale, productivity, and retention. It can also reduce costs associated with office space and overhead.
For employees, working from home can offer greater flexibility, a better work-life balance, and a reduction in commuting time and expenses.
Why is it important to create a work-from-home kit that meets the needs of all employees?
Every employee is different, with different needs and preferences. It's essential to customize work-from-home kits to their role and needs.
To do this, you will need to understand what employees need and want from their work-from-home experience. What do they like and dislike about working from home?
This will help you create a more customized work-from-home kit that meets their specific needs.
Work-from-home kit essentials
Even though work-from-home kits need to be customized, some common items are necessary for any kind of role. Here are a few common items to keep in mind:
- Laptop or Desktop Computer: Essential for executing work tasks, a computer with a robust processor and substantial RAM ensures smooth multitasking and efficient running of demanding software applications.
- Multiple Monitors: By expanding the digital workspace, multiple monitors allow employees to view and manage several applications at once, boosting productivity and reducing the need to switch contexts.
- Tablet: A tablet with a stylus, like an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil, is a critical tool for UI/UX designers. It allows for free-hand sketching of designs and direct manipulation of design elements, providing a more intuitive and efficient workflow.
- Headset and Webcam: Clear audio and visual communication tools are key for facilitating professional remote meetings, ensuring employees can collaborate effectively from any location.
- High-speed Internet Connection: A fast and stable internet connection is critical to access cloud-based resources, collaborate in real-time, and participate in video conferences without disruptions.
- Ergonomic Keyboard and Mouse: Ergonomic accessories are designed to support natural posture and reduce the risk of musculoskeletal issues, essential for comfort and health during extended work periods.
- Desk Mats: They provide individuals with a smooth, stable base for mouse operation and protect the desk surface. A desk mat can also enhance the visual appeal of a workspace, which is important for maintaining a positive working atmosphere.
- Organizers: Professionals benefit greatly from organizers which aid in decluttering the workspace. Whether it’s for documents, office supplies, or tech gadgets, an organizer can help maintain an orderly space conducive to focused and efficient work.
- Cable Management Tools: Effective cable management is vital for preventing clutter and ensuring safety. For those whose workstations host a myriad of devices, such as IT professionals, these tools are essential for maintaining an organized and hazard-free environment.
- Blue Light Glasses: As prolonged exposure to screens is common for many professionals, blue light glasses are important for reducing eye strain and potential disruptions to sleep patterns, making them a valuable asset for anyone in a screen-centric role.
- Inspirational Books: Having a selection of books can be particularly motivating. For creative professionals, entrepreneurs, or strategists, books provide not just knowledge but also the inspiration that can spark innovative ideas and approaches to their work.
- Desk Plants and Lights: Introducing greenery into the workspace can improve air quality and mental well-being, a subtle yet impactful benefit for those in high-pressure careers. Proper lighting, particularly for tasks that require attention to detail, is crucial to prevent eye strain and maintain productivity, as is often the case for editors and graphic designers.
- Collaboration and Communication Tools: Software like Slack, Zoom, and Google Workspace enable remote teams to stay connected and synchronized, fostering teamwork and ensuring that collaborative projects can progress smoothly.
Need help in curating the perfect work from home kit for your team?
Browse through our curated catalog and choose items that meet your requirements. And yes, we take care of everything, right from design, all the way to delivery!
Creating effective work-from-home kits requires empathy, flexibility, and open communication. There's no universal blueprint because every employee has unique needs and preferences that must be understood.
Make it a habit to regularly check in with your team through one-on-ones or surveys. Learn what’s working well or needs adjustment from their perspective. Provide employees autonomy in choosing tools and designing their optimal workspaces—even being open to ordering random items on an individual’s request.
The goal is to make every team member feel valued, trusted and set up for success regardless of location. Allow people’s unique personalities and working styles to shine through. Offer the latest technologies, but also give them flexibility in the brand or model that fits their needs. Combine this with human touches that promote well-being.
With thoughtfulness and care, we can create personalized experiences that empower employees to do their best work wherever they are. When people feel seen, supported, and equipped to thrive, it lifts up the entire organization.
The key is constantly gathering feedback, understanding needs, and being willing to iterate along the way.